Olive Branch Wellness Center
Wellness tips, health news, nutrition insights, encouragement and more...
July 2018 Issue
Raynette Ilg, ND, Founder
Olive Branch Wellness Center
This Month's Vitamini:
Vitamin "L" is for Lifestyle!
You’ve heard the advice, “you need a healthy lifestyle!” But what does that really mean? Our lifestyle can make or break our health profile over time. That’s why it’s as much a part of my diagnostic procedure as a medical history or lab tests.
Here is a checklist of what I look for to see whether your lifestyle supports or drains your health. Take a look and see how you are doing on your Vitamin “L”:
- Does your life produce too much or too little stress? Too much can be deadly, but too little may leave you unmotivated and depressed.
- Does your daily routine give you time to take care of yourself? Do you have time to buy healthy food, cook and eat healthy meals? Time to sleep 8 hours a night? Time to exercise a few times each week? Time to enjoy the things that feed your soul?
- What are your habits? Are they health-building or health-deteriorating over time?
- How are your relationships? Do you have supportive people in your life? Friends and family you enjoy? Or, are there too many people who frustrate, anger or burden you?
- How is your environment at home and at work? Do you have access to daylight, fresh air, clean water to drink? Are you regularly exposed to any toxins or activities that could hurt your body?
- How’s your self-esteem? Do you have purpose and meaning in your life (some people find this in their career, their religious or spiritual life, their personal hobbies or interests, or their family)? Do you like yourself and enjoy taking good care of you?
How did you do? Don’t worry if there are parts of your lifestyle you are still working on. Creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a lifelong responsibility we all have.
Why Probiotics Can be a
Key to Weight Loss
In the last few newsletters, we’ve explored how gut bacteria plays an integral role in protecting your health and supporting your moods, emotions and mental health.
But what you may not have heard is how gut bacteria can play a major role in whether you are obese or whether you can lose weight and stay slim. Studies on both humans and animals show that those who are obese carry more of a certain bacteria (firmicutes) than those who are slim. Scientists have actually been able to make thin mice fat by implanting them with bacteria from the intestines of obese mice.
There are a number of ways that improving your gut bacteria through probiotics may help you reach your weight loss goals:
- Some probiotics (such as strains of lactobacillus) slow down your absorption of dietary fat.
- Probiotics, partly due to their effect on healing the gut lining and helping to properly digest food, can reduce inflammation in your entire body. Inflammation and obesity often go hand in hand.
- Probiotics may help your body release a hormone to suppress appetite.
- Probiotics may increase a certain protein that inhibits fat storage.
- Probiotics help with regular elimination, and as a result, they enhance your energy and digestive health.
In a study of 125 dieters, women who took probiotics lost 50% more weight than those who took a placebo. (Interestingly, the results for men stayed about the same.) The weight loss was documented for those taking probiotics from the L. rhamnoses family of bacteria. In another study, probiotics helped subject lose 8.5% of their belly fat. When they stopped taking the probiotics their belly fat came back within one month.
Can probiotics alone help you lose weight? Maybe. But here’s one thing, they offer so many additional health benefits both physically and mentally, that it’s a no-brainer to include a probiotic supplement to your health regimen.
However, if you want to get the best results from a probiotic supplement, here more than ever, quality counts. If you just pick up a cheap bottle of probiotics at the local discount store, there is no guarantee that you’re getting any viable bacteria at all. The cultures in cheap pills are often dead and worthless. You need the right probiotic with the right mix of bacteria strains proven to deliver the benefits found in these research studies. If you’re interested in how probiotics might help you with your weight loss goals, come talk to me and we’ll get you on the right probiotic, in addition to the right diet and lifestyle plan, to get you to the healthiest weight for you!
Wouldn't it be GREAT if Dr. Ray came to
speak at your workplace?
Did you know that Dr. Ray offers corporate wellness programs for mid to large size businesses? That means she can work with your company to provide health education through fun, informative talks on today's most important health issues. She also forms partnerships with companies to provide individualized wellness plans and discounted health services for interested employees.
The great part is that employers love it because it saves them money on health care costs, reduces sick time, and creates a healthier, happier work environment. Let your Human Resource Director know about Dr. Ray, and perhaps you'll see her speak at your company!